A recent Gousto recipe I tried and tested is this Hawaiian Beef Loco Moco. This meal is meant to represent a bit of a Hawaiian takeaway treat and is certainly a little different to meals I usually make. However this dish is proper comfort food, is very tasty as well as being low in sugar and high in protein – great post daily exercise! Try something a little different and give it a go! It only takes approx 30 minutes to make but does have various elements to it, so get others involved and make sure you give the full recipe a good read before you start to cook!
Ingredients (for 2 people, double for 4):
- 1 brown onion
- 2 eggs
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 spring onion
- 130g basmati rice
- 1/2 beef stock cube
- 160g chestnut mushrooms
- 250g beef mince
- 1 tbsp Henderson’s relish
- 30g panko breadcrumbs
- You’ll also need some flour, salt & pepper, oil and some tin foil.
- Preheat the over to 200 degrees/Gas mark 6. Peel & grate half the onion into a large bowl. Slice the remaining onion finely. Heat a large, wide-based pan (ideally non-stick) with a drizzle of oil over a medium-low heat. Once the pan is hot, add the sliced onion and cook for approx 5 minutes until softened and beginning to go brown.
- Whilst the onion is cooking, add the beef mince and panko breadcrumbs to the bowl with the grated onion. Season with a generous pinch of salt and a very generous grind of black pepper. Give everything a good mix up until well combined, then shape into 2 patties.
- Add the patties to a baking tray (use tin foil to avoid any mess) and put the tray in the oven for 15 – 20 mins or until cooked through.
- Slice the chestnut mushrooms finely. Once the onion has softened, add the sliced mushrooms to the pan with a generous grind of black pepper and cook for 3-4 mins until beginning to soften.
- Meanwhile, add the basmati rice and 300ml cold water to a pot with a lid and bring to the boil over a high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to very low and cook for 10-12 mins or until the water is absorbed and rice is cooked. Once cooked, remove from the heat and keep covered until serving.
- Peel & finely chop (or grate) the garlic. Dissolve half the beef stock cube in 250ml boiled water and add the Henderson’s relish and soy sauce. Add 1 tsp flour and the chopped garlic to the pan with the mushrooms and cook for 30 seconds. Add the stock, bring to the boil over a high heat and cook for 5-6 mins or until thickened – this is your gravy.
- Once everything is almost cooked, heat a separate, wide-based pan (ideally non-stick with a lid), with a drizzle of oil over a medium-low heat. Once hot, crack the eggs into the pan. Cook covered for 2-3 mins or until done to your liking. Trim, then slice the spring onions finely.
- Serve the patties over the cooked rice and pour the gravy all over. Top with a fried egg and garnish with the sliced spring onion.
I didn’t tweak this recipe at all so can’t take any credit for it, but I recommend giving this meal and also Gousto a try. Follow this link to sign up to Gousto and get 10% off your first box. You can receive boxes as often or little as you like and can cancel any time, but I do love it when my monthly Gousto arrives 🙂
Please share your comments and photos with me of this meal or others that you have made that have either been inspired by my recipes, or you think I should give a go, and be in with a chance of featuring on my food blog!