This meat-free, low calorie recipe is really simple yet so fresh & yummy. Use up some of your veg/pulses to make a real comforting dish with a little herbs & spices too. This is a fairly versatile recipe to be able to add extra ingredients and still make a great meal. Total calories = 440 per person.
Ingredients (for 2 people);
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 tsp chilli powder (mild or hot, according to your taste)
- Handful spinach
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g cans pulses/mixed beans in water, drained
- 6 small wholemeal tortillas or 4 large
- 100g low-fat natural yogurt
- 40g extra-mature cheddar cheese, finely grated
Method (Approx 30 mins in total);
- Heat some oil in a large frying pan. Cook the onion and grated carrot for 5-8 mins until soft – add a splash of water if they start to stick. Sprinkle in the chilli powder and cook for 1 min more. Pour in the tomatoes and mixed beans/pulses and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 5-10 mins, stirring occasionally, until thickened. In the last minute of simmering, add in your spinach. Remove from the heat and season well.
- Heat your grill to high. Spread a spoonful of the bean chilli over a large ovenproof dish. Lay each tortilla onto a board, fill with a few tbsp of chilli mixture, fold over the ends and roll up to seal. Place them into the ovenproof dish. Spoon the remaining chilli on top.
- Mix the yogurt and grated cheese together with some seasoning, and spoon over the enchiladas. Grill for a few mins until the top is golden and bubbling. Serve with a green salad if needed.
There you have it – an easy to make veggie meal that is satisfyingly filling, great for a good old #meatfreemonday !
If you have any recipe recommendations, questions or would like to collaborate with me in any way, please just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!