This recipe was inspired by a Gousto recipe that I tried a while ago, tweaked a little to taste. I was pleasantly surprised how good it was to say it was such a simple burger recipe! This is definitely something to make on an evening for a bit of comfort food that’s cheaper and healthier than a takeaway and from prep to eating only takes 40 mins!
Ingredients (2 people);
- 1 large potato (500g)
- 1 red onion
- 1 spring onion
- 250g pork mince
- 2 brioche bread buns
- 2 tsp tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 baby gem lettuce
- 1 apple
- Pre-heat your oven to 210 degrees. Cut the potato (skin on) length-ways to make chips/wedges. Add these to an oven tray and drizzle with oil. Season with salt, pepper and 1 tsp of smoked paprika. Cook the chips in the oven for 25 – 30 mins until crispy.
- Chop your spring onion finely, separating the white bits and the green bits. In a mixing bowl add the pork mince, the white bits of the spring onion, 1 tsp of smoked paprika and generously season with salt & pepper. Using your hands mix everything together and form 2 large patties. Place these in the fridge until later, to help them stick together whilst cooking.
- Halve your brioche buns and place in a wide-based frying pan on a medium heat for a few minutes to toast the inside. Set the buns to one side for later and keep the pan on the hob.
- Peel your onion and slice thinly for your “onion rings”. Add some oil to the pan on the hob and cook your onion rings on a medium heat for a few minutes each side to soften. Set the onion rings to one side for later. Keep the pan for later.
- In a bowl, mix together the red wine vinegar, mayonnaise, the rest of the spring onion and salt & pepper – this is your salad dressing. Slice your apple, skin-on, and cut into thin batons. Shred your baby gem lettuce. Mix the apple and lettuce with the salad dressing.
- In your frying pan, ensure there is some oil left, and crank the heat up high. Grab your burgers from the fridge and add them to the frying pan, pressing down the burgers. Cook for 4 minutes on each side, covering the pan with a lid and pressing down on the burgers half way through cooking.
- Once cooked, serve your delicious burgers on your toasted brioche, topped with onion rings and some of the apple salad. Enjoy your crispy chips and the rest of the salad on the side.