Sorry not sorry to be posting yet another curry recipe BUT this one is another gorgeous, mouth-watering bowl of yumminess! It may be a Vegan dish but because of the roasted, spiced butternut squash and the blended cashews in place of yogurt or butter, it still comes out smooth and creamy so whether you’re a Vegan looking for a tasty curry or want to try out more Vegan meals THIS is a good one!
Try it and let me know what you think 🙂
Ingredients (for 4 people);
- 1 large butternut squash (approx. 1.4kg)
- 11/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 inch piece root ginger, peeled + finely grated
- 2 tsp ground fenugreek (found in most large supermarkets)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 250ml vegetable stock (vegan)
- 125g cashews (+ handful of cashews chopped to garnish)
- 75g vegan spread
- Small handful coriander, chopped to garnish
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced to garnish
Method (Approx 15 min prep, 40 mins cooking);
- Preheat the oven to 200C (180C Fan) / Mark 6. Halve and de-seed the squash (no need to peel) and cut into 3cm pieces. Toss in a large roasting tin with 2 tbsp oil, 1 tsp of the garam masala, the chilli powder and some seasoning. Roast for 30-35 mins until the squash is golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp oil over a medium heat and fry the onion for 8-10 mins until tender. Stir in the garlic, ginger, ground fenugreek and remaining garam masala and fry for 1 min. Add the tomatoes, stock and cashews and simmer for 10-12 mins, until cashews are softened.
- Transfer the sauce to a high-speed blender, or use a hand blender as I did, add the vegan spread and whizz until smooth. Return to the pan, check seasoning and carefully stir in the roasted squash. Reheat over medium heat for 5 mins until hot.
- Serve and garnish with the cashews, coriander and chilli if using.
This quickly became another favourite dish of mine and has inspired me to give more vegan dishes a go!
If you have any other vegan meals or curries you think I should try out, please leave a comment below 🙂