Are you looking for a bit more inspiration for a breakfast recipe? This dish was a little bit of an experiment/winging it with flavours I enjoy and bits that we had in the fridge, but it turned out really well for a delicious, fresh breakfast/brunch. Please give it a try I’d love to know what you think!
Ingredients (for 2 people);
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 heaped tbsp green pesto
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp ras el hanout spice mix (you can get this from any large supermarket)
- 1 tbsp tomato & chilli jam/chutney
- 4 slices tiger bread
Method (takes approx 15 mins);
- Fry the onion in olive oil on a medium to high heat (in a shallow frying pan preferably with a lid), until if softens for approx 3/4 mins.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan and fry for a few minutes until they soften and the onion starts to caramalise.
- Add the ras el hanout and the chilli jam/chutney to the pan, only frying for a moment until aromatic, then make 4 “wells” in the mixture and divide the pesto into these.
- Crack your eggs into the wells on top of the pesto, season to taste, and cover the pan with the lid so to cook the eggs on the top also.
- Meanwhile pop your tiger bread in the toaster whilst your eggs are cooking to your taste.
- Using a fish slice, divide each egg with some chutney onto a slice of toast and enjoy!! Pop a little paprika on top if you wish.
Simple yet packed full of flavour, with a little sweetness to it from the ras el hanout mix – a fabulous Moroccan spice mix I use fairly regularly in lamb dishes and chillies so it doesn’t go to waste!
I hope this meal gives you inspiration to cook from scratch and try more adventurous breakfast recipes. Please do give this a try and let me know what you think!
Please hit like if you enjoyed this recipe and if you have any of your own food creations you would like me to try and review, please email me at email@example.com.