If you enjoy a simple, quick but yummy meal that is very versatile, then a stroganoff based dish is always a winner. Using up a number of leftovers including ready made fresh meatballs (from Costco), this was a really great meal for a week night that didn’t blow the budget. And I couldn’t believe how low calorie this came out (using the right ingredients)! You can of course be even more adventurous with your cooking and probably healthier by making your meatballs from scratch. Because I used Jasmine rice from Morrisons, the Total calories = approx. 302 calories per portion.
Ingredients (for 2 people);
- I used 6 beef & herbs meatballs from Costco – or you can make your own using 250g mince, garlic granules, onion powder, paprika and parsley
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 100g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp Henderson’s Relish
- 1 heaped tsp wholegrain mustard (usually Dijon mustard is advised in this recipe but I didn’t have any and this turned out well)
- 200ml boiling water
- 1/2 beef stock cube
- 80g light cream cheese
- Handful of parsley chopped
- 100g jasmine rice
Method (Takes approx. 25 mins including prep);
- Heat up a large frying pan with a glug of your choice of oil on a medium heat. Add the meatballs and fry for approx. 5 minutes until browned on the outside.
- Add a little more oil to the pan and add in the mushrooms and onions, frying for 10 more minutes until softened.
- Add the stock cube, mustard and Henderson’s relish to the boiling water and then pour into the pan and simmer for 5 minutes until the liquid reduces slightly and starts to thicken.
- Lower the heat and simmer for approx 10 minutes until meatballs are cooked through. In the mean time, put your jasmine rice on to simmer as per the instructions.
- When everything is cooked, take your frying pan off the heat and add in the cream cheese, stirring until blended.
- Season to taste and serve over the rice with the parsley sprinkled over the top.
A very tasty, winning dish if I do say so myself!
If you have any recipe recommendations or questions or would like to collaborate with me in any way, please just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Oh my goodness 😳 😍 🤣🥰🥰😘👍👍