I had never tried chicken sausages before making this dish, and they are super tasty. They are also a lot healthier than your standard pork sausages, containing less ingredients, and a lot less sugar! This was also the first risotto that I have made where it is baked in the oven; minimal effort, maximum taste!! Total calories = 429 per portion.
Ingredients (For 4 people):
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 8 chicken sausages, roughly chopped
- 300g arborio rice
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 500ml chicken stock
- large bunch of basil, roughly chopped
Method (Approx. 45 minutes cooking time):
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees. Place a large, hob-proof casserole dish or ovenproof saucepan over a medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp oil. Once the oil is hot, chuck in the red onion, carrot, celery and red pepper and cook, stirring regularly for 5 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Increase the heat to maximum and push the vegetables to one side to leave a clear space in the pan. Drop the rosemary and the sausages into the gap and fry until the sausages have some colour on them.
- Reduce the heat to a medium and tip in the rice, gently and carefully sitrring it in for 1 minute. Add the chopped tomatoes and chicken stock, again stirring gently to incorporate. Bring to the boil, then put a lid on and slide the dish into the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- Take the dish out of the oven and leave to stand with the lid on for 5 minutes. Stir through the basil and serve up your one-pot wonder!