This dish, from Davina’s Kitchen Favourites, is a fabulous source of fibre and tastes great. You can leave out the bacon and use a vegetarian cheese for a good veggie version too!
Cooking & prep time approx 30 mins
- 200g wholewheat pasta
- 200g baby leaf spinach
- 100g diced bacon
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 sprig of rosemary, chopped
- 400g can of chickpeas, drained
- Grated Parmesan to serve
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add plenty of salt, then the pasta. Cook the pasta for 10-12 minutes until just al dente, then add the spinach and allow it to wilt down into the water before draining everything in a colander.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan or in a saute pan with a lid. Add the bacon and fry until it is crisp and browned. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute or so, then add the tomatoes and rosemary along with 100ml of water. Seaon with salt and pepper, then simmer until reduced.
- Mash half the chickpeas roughly and add them to the sauce, with the whole chickpeas. Add a little more water to loosen the sauce and simmer until everything is well combined and piping hot.
- Toss the sauce with the drained pasta and spinach and serve with plenty of grated cheese.