If you’re looking for a recipe that’s tasty, cheap AND easy to make then I recommend these tuna & sweet potato fishcakes! Inspired by a recipe from Asda, this is a really refreshing and healthy meal. The recipe for the sweet chilli side salad is below and I had a big dollop of potato salad with it, but spicy rice or cous cous would go just as well.
Ingredients (2 people):
- 2 medium OR 1 large sweet potatoes
- 2 x 160g cans Princes Tuna Flakes in Brine, drained
- 1 tbsp coriander, finely chopped, plus extra, to serve
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Zest 1 lime
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (or if you have panko breadcrumbs these work too)
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 carrot, peeled
- ½ cucumber
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Cook your sweet potatoes in the microwave for approx 8-10 minutes until soft, checking with a fork. If it’s still a little hard keep cooking for an additional minute until soft.
- Halve the sweet potatoes and scoop out the flesh; discard the skins. Mix well with the tuna, coriander (leave a pinch for the salad), chilli, spring onions, fish sauce, soy sauce and zest.
- Dampen your hands with a little water and shape the mixture into 8 small patties.
- Mix the sesame seeds (or panko breadcrumbs) and flour together and use to lightly dust the fish cakes.
- Heat the sesame oil in a frying pan on medium. Fry for approx 3-4 mins on each side until golden and crisp.
- Pull a veg peeler along the carrot to create ribbons. Repeat with the cucumber. Mix together, toss in the chilli sauce and sprinkle with black pepper and coriander.
- Serve the fishcakes with the vegetable ribbons on the side.
Happy munching 🙂