Inspired by a vegetarian recipe of Mushroom & Spinach Pasta found on Pinterest, I decided to make my own recipe up as I went along using some leftover ingredients that I had in the fridge and it was delicious and very filling. Give this recipe a try if you’re looking for real comfort food that doesn’t take long to make.
Cooking time approx 30 mins
Ingredients (for 2 people):
- 2 boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 150g mushrooms sliced
- 150g spinach
- 140g pasta
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 230ml single cream
- 100g shaved parmesan
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Firstly you need to caramalise your onions. Heat up a tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan, once hot add the sliced onion. Cook on high heat, stirring often so the onion doesn’t stick and burn, for approx 10 minutes. Your onion should now be soft and slightly charred/browned. Lower the heat and add the balsamic vinegar, scraping any bits at the bottom of your pan with the spoon and coating all the onion. Cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring often so the onion doesn’t burn. Set aside your caramalised onions in a bowl for later.
- Cook your pasta according to cooking instructions.
- Add another tbsp of olive oil to the same frying pan used for the onions and put onto a medium heat. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for approx 5 minutes until the pieces are starting to brown. Add in the crushed garlic and cook for a further 3-5 minutes until the chicken pieces are cooked through.
- Lower the heat and add the spinach, stirring and just cook for a minute or so until the spinach has wilted.
- Add in the single cream and bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook for approx 5 minutes adding a generous pinch of salt & pepper.
- Add in the cheese and stir into the sauce. Once your cheese melts into the sauce, add the caramalised onions to the pan and stir to mix everything up.
- Once everything in the pan is hot and your pasta is cooked, serve up and enjoy!!
Happy munching 🙂