Stuffed Peppers are a great way to get extra vegetables into your meal, but in a fun and very tasty way! In this recipe I chose to stuff my peppers with a quick sort of chilli con carne without all the spice but still with all of the taste, and top with cheese (of course!) I decided to serve this with rice for extra texture and flavour and I will be honest I cheated and used a microwave packet. However the whole thing took me about 30 mins to make, that includes prep and the time that the stuffed peppers were in the oven * – great for a mid-week meal.
*Actually it took me a little longer, but that’s because I was filming this amazing time lapse video for you to cook along with me!
Ingredients (for 2 people):
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 peppers – 1 diced, 2 cut in half and deseeded
- 250g beef mince
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1.5 tbsp Henderson’s Relish
- 1.5 tbsp tomato puree
- Half tbsp red wine vinegar
- (Optional) – 1 tsp dried chilli flakes (I added this off camera on my video because you know I can’t help but love added spice in my food!!)
- 100ml water
- Approx. 50g grated cheddar
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
- Olive oil
Method (Approx. 30 mins for prep & cooking):
- Preheat your oven to 200C (fan 180C/gas mark 6).
- Once you have diced your onion and pepper and crushed your garlic clove, add olive oil to a large frying pan/wok over a medium to high heat. Add the onion, pepper and garlic and cook for about 3 – 5 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the beef mince and turn up the heat to high, breaking the mince up with a wooden spoon and stirring so that the meat browns all over. Meanwhile prep your pepper halves.
- Add the mustard powder, Henderson’s Relish, tomato puree, red wine vinegar and water to the pan and turn the heat down to low and cook for about 4 – 5 mins. Season to taste. If you want to add a bit of spice to this dish, add the optional chilli flakes at this stage too.
- Place your pepper haves in a roasting tin or on a baking tray. Divide the beef mixture evenly among the peppers (I had a few spoonful’s left that I ate whilst the peppers were in the oven hahah). Sprinkle the cheese over each pepper and place in the oven for 10 minutes, until he cheese is golden and the peppers are just cooked.
Well I hope you enjoy this recipe, and I hope that you liked my little recipe/cooking video that I hope to be doing more of! Please check out and subscribe to my YouTube channel for more.
Let me know what you think and please as always, share any photos or comments that you have of this dish.