I’ve been making this recipe for a few years now and realised I hadn’t shared it with you all yet! Substituting meat with sweet potato and kidney beans is a great way to create a fulfilling and very tasty Vegan dish. All of the spices in this recipe really compliment each other and adding the kale gives it a further depth. Not only is this meal meat and dairy free, but it’s gluten free too and easy to freeze! Delicious, healthy & only takes around 40 mins to make – ideal for a Meat Free Monday 🙂
Ingredients (for 3 people):
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into bite-sized cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 400g tin of kidney beans, drained
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 large handfuls of kale
- Olive oil, salt & pepper
Method (Approx 40 mins cooking time):
- Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan and add the sweet potatoes, onion and garlic. Cook on a medium heat until the veg has softened slightly, about 5 mins.
- Stir in the chilli, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and cumin and cook for a further few mins.
- Add the kidney beans and chopped tomatoes, stir to coat the vegetables and simmer for approx 30 – 35 minutes. I also added half a tin of water so that the chilli didn’t dry out whilst cooking.
- At the last minute, add the kale just until it wilts slightly but retains it’s colour and texture.
- Season with salt & pepper and enjoy!
Here’s another little “cook with me” video I put together for you for the above recipe.
Please, please, please do share your comments with me on this recipe, I hope I have inspired you to give it a go! If you make this dish, let me know and share your photos to be in with a chance of featuring on my blog/social media!