I’ve been making this recipe for a few years now and realised I hadn’t shared it with you all yet! Substituting meat with sweet potato and kidney beans is a great way to create a fulfilling and very tasty Vegan dish. All of the spices in this recipe really compliment each other and adding the kale gives it a further depth. Not only is this meal meat and dairy free, but it’s gluten free too and easy to freeze! AND ALL THIS FOR JUST 350 CALORIES PER PORTION!! Delicious, healthy & only takes around 40 mins to make – ideal for a Meat Free Monday 🙂
Ingredients (for 3 people):
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into bite-sized cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 400g tin of kidney beans, drained
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 large handfuls of kale
- Olive oil, salt & pepper
Method (Approx 40 mins cooking time):
- Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan and add the sweet potatoes, onion and garlic. Cook on a medium heat until the veg has softened slightly, about 5 mins.
- Stir in the chilli, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and cumin and cook for a further few mins.
- Add the kidney beans and chopped tomatoes, stir to coat the vegetables and simmer for approx 30 – 35 minutes. I also added half a tin of water so that the chilli didn’t dry out whilst cooking.
- At the last minute, add the kale just until it wilts slightly but retains it’s colour and texture.
- Season with salt & pepper and enjoy!
Here’s another little “cook with me” video I put together for you for the above recipe.
Please, please, please do share your comments with me on this recipe, I hope I have inspired you to give it a go! If you make this dish, let me know and share your photos to be in with a chance of featuring on my blog/social media!