With inspiration from a fellow foodie on Instagram, I decided to try out (and tweak as always) this recipe and it was gorgeous! I mean who doesn’t love a bit of crispy halloumi, right? I’m unsure what makes the green beans Greek apart from there is oregano in the sauce but whatever the reason, this is a delicious bowl of comfort! An easy to make recipe, refreshing for any time of year that won’t break the bank with the ingredients required 🙂
Ingredients (for 2 people);
- 1 tbsp oil
- 200g green beans, trimmed
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp oregano
- 225g halloumi
- 60g breadcrumbs (I used golden breadcrumbs)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp plain flour
Method (Approx. 45 mins altogether);
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and add the onion and garlic for around 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, stock, chilli, seasoning and oregano. Mix well and simmer on low heat for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile cut the halloumi into about 6 slices and then quarter each slice into small rectangles. Set up 3 bowls – one with flour, one with the egg beaten, and one with the breadcrumbs. One piece at a time dip the cheese in the flour, then egg and then coat in the breadcrumbs (can get a bit messy – you have been warned!!).
- Heat up a good amount of oil in a pan, enough to shallow fry all of the halloumi. Once the oil is hot, carefully place each piece of halloumi into the pan and fry for a few minutes each side until golden.
- Serve up the beans and top with the crispy halloumi – nom nom!
Enjoy this lovely veggie recipe and let me know what you think.
If you have any other meals you think I should try out, please leave a comment below 🙂
Follow me now on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.