A lovely, little Authentic Thai restaurant based in the heart of York, serving delicious “tapas style” Thai including Ancient Thai Dishes, Street Food and Curries at a reasonable price.
When visiting York last month for my birthday, a city I love to go to at least once a year for sightseeing and pub crawls, a small group of us decided we wanted to go for Thai food, a cuisine I love! After a bit of a google search I found Tah Tien and gave them a call to book ahead, although at 5:30pm on a Saturday the restaurant wasn’t too busy and started to fill up as we were leaving towards 6:30pm. The restaurant is informal and humble with basic furniture but dynamic wall murals and some decoration, making it a nice place to visit with friends and family and to enjoy some good, authentic food.
The food at Tah Tien is served tapas style in a way that the portions are smaller than your average main meal at a restaurant, so be mindful to order a couple if you want to fill up! This is a great way to try a few different dishes/flavours in one visit.
Between us we enjoyed;
- Pro Pia Ped / Duck Spring Rolls– A good portion of 4 pieces, very crispy pastry and packed full of tasty ingredients, served with a dip of hoisin sauce. A bit of a favourite of ours when it comes to Asian food.
- Kra Prow with Chicken / Stir Fry with oyster sauce, fresh chilli & basil – This dish was made with chicken thighs which I really enjoy due to the depth of favour, and the sauce had a really good kick to it. This also had big chunks of onions & peppers in. Very yummy.
- Massaman with Chicken / Southern style thick curry sauce with potatoes, onions and peanuts – A mouthwatering, rich and very saucy curry packed full of flavour and lovely soft potatoes. This meal has a real spiciness to it too.
- We also added some Steamed Rice Noodles with Garlic oil to accompany our meal.
- Our friends recommended the Pad Thai and Panang Curry also.
Tah Tien also has a range of other street food dishes, soups, noodle dishes and offers lots of vegetarian and gluten free options. All the food is presented really well on matching black plates/bowls making it very aesthetically appealing too.
We felt that the food here was made fresh with quality ingredients, full of flavour, good value for money and everyone enjoyed it very much. I would recommend seeking out Tah Tien if looking for some authentic, tasty Thai food in the centre of York, especially if you want to try a variety of dishes in one visit/are looking for somewhere that can cater for a group with all different palettes.
Check out their Facebook page here for more information,
I hope that you enjoyed my review and it has inspired you to give this restaurant a visit. Please check out my other reviews, and my recipes too! If you have any restaurant/pub/café suggestions for me to try, please leave a comment below. If you are a restaurant/food vendor and would like to collaborate with me in any way, please just email me at email@example.com!