I love fish pie however until recently, I bought them ready made. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to make it from scratch, and how fresh and healthy as well as comforting it was. Although this recipe is high in carbs, it is low in sugar. As long as you have an active lifestyle, the carbs will give you energy to burn off during exercise!
Cooking time approx 45 mins
- 220g fish pie mix (easy to find at supermarkets)
- 1 leek
- 1 carrot
- 3 potatoes
- Bunch of flat leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Grated mature cheddar cheese
- 200ml water (from draining the cooked potatoes)
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil for the potatoes. Chop the potato into small bitesize chunks (no need to peel)n and add to the boiling water until tender (approx 20 mins).
- Meanwhile, trim the root and the dark green part from the leek. Halve lengthways then slice about 1cm thick. Trim the carrot (no need to peel), halve lengthways then thinly slice. Roughly chop the parsley.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large saucepan on medium-high heat and once hot, add the leek and carrot. cook until soft, stirring occasionally for 10 mins.
- Once the potato is cooked, drain in a colander reserving 200ml of the potato water in a jug. Place the potato back in the saucepan off the heat, with a pinch of salt and pepper and a knob of butter and mash with a potato masher.
- Add the stock powder and reserved warer to the veg in the pan. Stir to combine and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat then stir in the fish pie mix, creme fraiche, half the parsley and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix carefully then transfer to an over proof dish.
- Top with the mash, spread out gently to over the filling, then top with the remaining parsley and grated cheese. Place on the top shelf of the oven and bake until the fish is cooked through and the cheesy mash is golden, 20 – 25 mins.
Please share your comments & pictures with me across any of my social media pages; Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Or feel free to email me at email@example.com.
[…] as you have an active lifestyle, the carbs will give you energy to burn off during exercise! Click here for the […]
[…] Fish Pie – Really easy, really yummy, and very filling. A fish pie is my guilty pleasure to treat myself to! Give it a go. […]