Being a lover of Greek & Mediterranean food, I was delighted to discover this recipe in Davina McCall’s “Davina’s Kitchen Favourites” – Amazing sugar-free, no-fuss recipes easy to enjoy together. And yes this recipe is definitely “no-fuss”, as well as healthy and very comforting. I’m still fairly new to this cookbook but definitely have a few other recipes marked to try soon!
I have tweaked the recipe ever so slightly to accommodate my taste and ease of cooking. Give this a go and let me know what you think!
Ingredients (Serves 2 for an evening meal):
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely grated
- Small bunch of basil, shredded, with a few whole leaves for garnish
- Small bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Approx 12 large fresh prawns
- 250g feta, crumbled
- Heat some olive oil in a shallow, ovenproof pan. Add the onion and cook gently until soft. Add approx 2 thirds of the grated garlic and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the shredded basil, parsley and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and add the cinnamon, then bring to the boil. Once boiling, turn down the heat and cover the pan with the lid and leave to simmer and reduce for about 10 minutes. Preheat your grill to a medium to high setting.
- Meanwhile toss the prawns in olive oil and the remaining garlic and season. Sprinkle the feta over the reduced tomato sauce, then top with the prawns. Put the pan under the grill for around 5-8 minutes until the prawns are cooked through and the feta has softened.
- Sprinkle with the basil leaves and serve up with chunky bread/salad or pasta.