Here’s another “one-pot wonder” & oven bake dish that’s packed full of flavour, perfect for a hearty comfort meal. As with all my recipes I try to give you something simple that anyone could follow and always using fresh ingredients made from scratch. The cooking & prep time on this one might be a bit long for anyone just looking for a quick recipe to make after a long day at work, however this dish is easy to make ahead and freeze, saving time on the night 🙂
I made the topping with white potatoes, but sweet potatoes would go really nice with this meal as well.
Ingredients (for 2);
- 1 onion, finely diced
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp chilli powder (heat dependent on preference)
- 250g minced beef
- 1 x tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 x tin of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x small tin sweetcorn, drained (I only used half, and saved half to put into salads for lunch)
- 1 pepper cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 beef stock cube
- 3 large potatoes, chopped into large chunks
- 100ml sour cream
- Handful of chives, chopped
- 50g/enough to cover the oven dish of grated cheddar
Method (takes approx 1 hour);
- If cooking to eat straight away, pre-heat your oven to 220C/ 200C fan/gas 7.
- Fry the onions in a glug of oil in a large, deep frying pan until soft.
- Stir in the spices and cook for 2 mins, until fragrant.
- Crumble in the mince and fry, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until all the meat is browned.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, beans, sweetcorn, pepper and vinegar.
- Crumble in the stock cube, pour over 100ml water then bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 mins until the mince and peppers are tender and sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, make the mash. Boil the potatoes in lots of boiling salted water until tender, about 20 mins. Drain well, leaving in the colander to steam dry for 1 min, then tip back into the saucepan and mash with the soured cream. Season and stir in the chives.
- When the chilli mince is done, pour into an ovenproof dish. Spoon over the mash and scatter on the cheese. Cool completely if you’re freezing any at this stage, or pop into the oven and bake for 25 mins until bubbling and golden.
COOKING FROM FROZEN…
Cover with foil and bake at 180C/160C fan/gas 4 for 1 hour. Remove the foil, turn up the oven to 220C/200C fan/ gas 7 and cook for a further 20 mins until piping hot in the middle. Or defrost thoroughly, then cook as per the recipe, but add an extra 10 mins to the cooking time.
A perfectly filling meal, incorporating all the important food groups 🙂 Please give this recipe a try and let me know what you think!
Happy munching 🙂