This soup is a warming, delicious lunch option perfect for this time of year. It’s healthy, easy to make and low calorie too at 250 per portion! It’s great how creamy the soup is just from adding a little coconut cream and blitzing everything together. Give it as little or as much spice as you want with added chilli flakes to serve. How inviting does it look??
Ingredients (for 4 portions);
- 400g sweet potato, diced into small cubes
- 100g carrot, chopped
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 70g chorizo, diced (I used the rest in salads/added to evening meals so it didn’t go to waste but you can usually store this in the fridge for a while)
- 2 chillies, chopped (optional if you aren’t keen on spice)
- Chicken stock cube, added to 800ml boiling water
- 200g chopped tomatoes
- 30g concentrated coconut cream
- Black pepper & chilli flakes to serve
Method (Takes approx 35 mins to prep & cook);
- Fry the chorizo in a large saucepan on a medium heat for a few minutes until slightly crispy, then set aside the chorizo to add later, leaving some of the oil from the chorizo in the pan.
- Add a little olive oil to the pan and fry the onion, chillies and pepper for a few minutes until starting to soften. Then add the sweet potato and carrot into the pan for a moment and give everything a mix up.
- Boil a kettle and add your stock cube and coconut cream to 800ml of boiled water for your creamy stock. Add the stock and the chopped tomatoes to the saucepan and mix everything together, bringing it to the boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer and cover the pan, adding seasoning to taste and simmer for approx 20-25 minutes or when the sweet potato and carrot chunks are cooked/soft.
- Blitz everything together with a hand blender until you have a smooth soup.
- Serve up your soup with the crisp chorizo on top and sprinkle on some black pepper and chilli flakes to taste!
This satisfying soup is one of my favourites. It’s so simple, versatile and you can add in other leftover veg you may have too.
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Do you have any recommended soup recipes you’d like me to try? Then get in touch and email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact me over my social media Facebook and Instagram.