Don’t be misled by the name of this recipe, if a meal entitled “broccoli” always tasted like this one, I’d be very happy! I got the inspiration for this one from my Polish cookbook by Alina Kowalska (with the odd tweak) and loved it – the added crushed cumin to the mashed potatoes was a lovely addition. Such a tasty and warming dish for all to enjoy. Total calories = Approx 709 per person.
Ingredients (for 2 people);
- 1 tbsp “easy garlic” paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp All Spice
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- 100g smoked bacon lardons
- 120g Tenderstem broccoli & 200g broccoli florets
- 1/2 tbsp dried Marjoram (found with the herbs in most large supermarkets)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 100g Polish / Smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 100g passata
- Corriander leaves to garnish
- Mashed potatoes – 500g potatoes, butter (to taste), 100ml soured cream and 1 tsp cumin powder with seasoning.
Method (Approx. 30 mins in total);
- Using a large frying pan, heat up some olive oil on a medium heat and add in the chopped red onion.
- Once the onion is softened, add the garlic paste into the pan and mix well.
- Add the passata, bay leaf, all spice, marjoram, chilli flakes and black pepper into the pan and cook the mixture for around 5 mins.
- Add the bacon lardons and the sausage to the pan until all cooked through.
- Add the broccoli to the pan and some water if needed and cook for 10 minutes until the sauce thickens and everything is cooked through.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with mashed potatoes (made with the ingredients above).
We really did enjoy this meal and would definitely make it again. Please give it a try yourself and let me know what you think!
If you have any recipe recommendations, questions or would like to collaborate with me in any way, please just email me at email@example.com!